The Y Greenhouse, located in the Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center, allows a wide variety of groups including; youth, seniors, individuals with diversabilties, veterans, and so many others an opportunity to get their hands dirty while engaging their senses. Participants learn the basics, including:
- How to grow healthy plants, starting from seed or seedlings
- What to grow, from herbs to veggies
- How to sort produce in an accessible and safe setting
- The agricultural and entrepreneurial skills needed to sell what has been grown
- Access to comprehensive cooking programs in our Teaching Kitchen
This space is designed to provide an inclusive agriculture experience for a wide range of participants. In addition, programs include horticultural-based therapy for individuals with mobility restrictions, which is a widely recognized as a practical treatment for people in need of post-acute rehabilitation services.
The YMCA Veggie Vans will play a vital role in this educational process by providing the new growers a venue for selling the herbs and crops raised in the Greenhouse and accessible gardens.