Garden Education equips families with the knowledge and power to plant, harvest, and eat healthier, more nutrient rich food.
The Y’s Garden Education program seeks to empower all people to roll up their sleeves, get their hands dirty, and eat better.
Y Gardens, located throughout the Grand Rapids community including Healthy Living Hubs as well as at the Mary Free Bed YMCA, are designed to teach children and families how to:
- Design and plan a garden
- Grow fruits, vegetables, and herbs
- Prepare and then eat the freshly grown produce
Families learn how to grow a variety of vegetables and care for and harvest their crops. Gardens serve as a wonderful way to bring families and neighborhoods together and offer many health benefits by providing opportunities to:
- Eat healthy fresh fruits and vegetables
- Engage in physical activity, skill building, and creating green space
- Beautify vacant lots
- Provide access to healthy and affordable produce
If you are interested in learning more, please send an email to email@example.com or call us at 616.885.5912. For media inquiries contact 616.855.9668.