Welcome to Healthy Outside
STARTING JUNE 11, stay healthy outside with one of our outdoor group exercise classes!
As we navigate through reopening the Y we continue to keep the health and safety of our members at the forefront of all decisions that we make.
We realize that you are eager to get back to the Y for your overall well-being – which is why we are excited to announce “Healthy Outside,” outdoor fitness classes led by some of your favorite instructors. To start, classes will be limited. We appreciate your patience as we work to expand our offerings in the weeks to come.
Healthy Outside are outdoor group fitness classes modified to meet the most recent set of guidelines given to fitness centers as part of the Governor’s “Stay Safe” plan. Healthy Outside will make its debut on Thursday, June 11 at the Mary Free Bed YMCA (5500 Burton SE, Grand Rapids) and Wolverine Worldwide Family YMCA (6555 Jupiter Avenue, Belmont). Healthy Outside group fitness classes for some of our other locations will begin the week of June 15, and even more will be added in the following weeks!
- Members will participate in some of their favorite classes, such as Yoga, Zumba, Bootcamp, and Bodycombat.
- We will continue to offer group fitness classes and activities online.
- Because we care, we encourage vulnerable populations of our Y members to be cautious and follow recommended guidelines on when to start being away from home.
- Read our guidelines below for more information on “Healthy Outside” and what you can expect.
TAKING A CLASS IS EASY
- View the member safety guidelines and procedures below prior to coming to the Y. You can find them below.
- Participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to each class.
- Find a class on our SCHEDULES page, or download or app, see below.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes prior to class start time to allow time for checking in and answering the health screening questions.
- Be sure you follow signage for keeping 6 feet apart during class.
- Enjoy your workout!
WEATHER & OUTDOOR CONDITIONS
We advise members to please bring plenty of water, and to wear lightly colored clothes made of breathable material on days when extreme heat is expected. Please check the weather prior to coming to class, and please download the mobile app for details on weather related updates or cancellations. Outdoor classes cancelled due to inclement weather will not be rescheduled or relocated.
And just a reminder, there will be no restrooms available for use as our facilities remain closed.
- Healthy Outdoors is open to members only ages eighteen and over, and children eleven and up can participate with a parent.
- Members will be asked to complete a waiver of liability to attend each class.
- Participants will need to go through health check screening questions upon arrival. Please arrive 5-10 ahead of class to allow time to complete this process.
- Classes are led by our certified group exercise instructors. Staff trained in CPR and First Aid will be available in the event of an emergency.
- There will be no restrooms available for use as our facilities remain closed, so please plan accordingly.
- Parents should not bring their children to class unless they are able to participate in the class and meet age guidelines.
- Please follow social distancing requirements of six feet at all times.
- Masks are not required for outdoor classes.
- All individuals are asked to please bring their own water bottles, mats, and towels.
- Class schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions. In the event of inclement weather please visit the mobile app for updates or changes. Outdoor classes cancelled due to inclement weather will not be rescheduled or relocated.