Incubating new national and regional healthy living initiatives, the Mary Free Bed YMCA will be home to the Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center – providing access, education, and support to improve the health of our community, with special consideration for vulnerable residents.
Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center
- An incubator for evidence-based programs intended to combat the growing obesity epidemic as well as preventable or manageable diseases through nutrition, physical activity, and education.
- The base of operations for the YMCA Veggie Van – a mobile farmers market, making weekly stops in urban neighborhoods throughout Grand Rapids, distributing produce from local farmers at wholesale prices in communities where access to affordable fresh food is limited.
- The location of a new teaching kitchen, where food, education, and compassion become one. Members of the community will learn how to make healthy, affordable meals that will feed the entire family.
- The place where growth and nourishment are cultivated. The farm and greenhouse are intended to teach children and families how to grow, maintain, and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Home to Nutrition in Action, a hands-on nutrition education program for vulnerable children and families intended to increase the consumption of healthy food.
For more information about the Mary Free Bed YMCA, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.