Incubating new national and regional healthy living initiatives, the Mary Free Bed YMCA will be home to the Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center – providing access, education, and support to improve the health of our community, with special consideration for vulnerable residents.
Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center
Carol Van Andel Healthy Living Center will be:
- An incubator for evidence-based programs intended to combat the growing obesity epidemic as well as preventable or manageable diseases through nutrition, physical activity, and education.
- The base of operations for the YMCA Veggie Van – a mobile farmers market, making weekly stops in urban neighborhoods throughout Grand Rapids, distributing produce from local farmers at wholesale prices in communities where access to affordable fresh food is limited.
- The location of a new teaching kitchen, where food, education, and compassion become one. Members of the community will learn how to make healthy, affordable meals that will feed the entire family.
- The place where growth and nourishment are cultivated. The farm and greenhouse are intended to teach children and families how to grow, maintain, and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Home to Nutrition in Action, a hands-on nutrition education program for vulnerable children and families intended to increase the consumption of healthy food.
For more information about the Mary Free Bed YMCA, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.