Michigan Harvest of the Month
The YMCA’s Michigan Harvest of the Month program promotes the purchase and consumption of fruits and vegetables among vulnerable residents at stores in urban neighborhoods throughout West Michigan.
By providing in-store food demonstrations, taste testing, recipe cards and signage, the Y educates consumers about selecting and preparing Michigan grown produce sold at participating grocery stores, Corner stores and YMCA Veggie Van sites. These food demos allow shoppers to taste and learn about how to incorporate seasonal fruits and vegetables into everyday living.
Trained nutrition educators conduct food demonstrations that highlight a Michigan fruit or vegetable each month and share easy to prepare, affordable recipes that correspond with the featured product. The program is funded in part by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) through the State of Michigan and the Michigan Fitness Foundation.
Customers are provided with the following:
- A recipe that meets nutrition standards set by the CDC
- Tools to effectively plan and purchase ingredients for a recipe
- Tips on how to safely prepare and store the fruits or veggies
- How to safely prepare the recipe
- Nutrition education related to the recipe
- Ideas on how to fit the recipe into an affordable family meal plan
- A sample of the finished product to taste
If you are interested in learning more, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 616.885.5912.