The Greenhouse and Learning Farm are where we cultivate growth and nourishment. Both places are intended to teach children and families how to grow, maintain and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs. The Greenhouse/Garden Intern will have the opportunity to learn organic gardening techniques and skills while working in a combined production and education environment.
- Qualified applicants will be able to commit to the full length of the internship, which extends to August 2019.
- 8 hour a week schedule commitment.
- Participate in field work: planting (direct seeding and transplanting), watering, weeding, harvesting, bed prep, soil amending, etc.
- Assist with Summer Garden and Greenhouse education programs for both children and adults.
- Germinate seeds and distribute plants throughout Greenhouse and Garden.
- Assist with irrigation systems.
- Harvest and preserve produce.
- Assist in starting up first year composting and rain harvesting programs.
- Assist with seed saving.
- Assist in Micro greens production.
- Assist in Tower Garden production.
- Help facilitate community volunteer groups.
- Perform general site maintenance.
No previous gardening experience is necessary. A qualified applicant will possess a strong work ethic, positive attitude, communication skills and problem-solving capabilities. Candidate must be a team player, flexible, and be willing to be involved beyond gardening work to occasionally help with outside programs and other special events.
- Intern will receive a free YMCA individual membership for the duration of internship.