Bring completed applications/forms along with photo ID to the Y of your choice.
Fill out the Financial Assistance Form below, or stop by the front desk at the branch nearest you. To process the application we will also need the following information:
- Copy of last year’s Federal tax return (required)
- Two current copies of pay stub or copy of social security or disability check
The Y strives to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all members, guests, and program participants. To promote safety and comfort for everyone, all individuals are asked to act appropriately at all times when in our facilities or participating in our programs.
We expect persons using the Y to act maturely, to behave responsibly, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Member/ Participant Code of Conduct Policy lists examples of prohibited actions. Such actions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Using, possessing, buying, selling, or delivering alcohol or illegal chemicals on Y property, in Y vehicles, or at Y sponsored programs
- Smoking on Y property – the Y and its property is a smoke-free environment
- Carrying or concealing a weapon and/or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive, or threatening way
- Verbally abusive behavior, including angry or vulgar language, swearing, name-calling, or shouting
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person on Y property, in Y vehicles, or at Y sponsored programs
- Unsafe or inappropriately distracting, immodest, or sexually revealing attire
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property or injury to a person
- Loitering within or on grounds of the Y
- Engaging in conduct that unreasonably interferes with another member or staff person’s enjoyment of the Y
- Use of cell phone and other electronic devices in restrooms, showers and locker rooms at all Y facilities
Members, guests and program participants are encouraged to take responsibility for their personal comfort and safety by asking any person whose behavior threatens their comfort or unreasonably interferes with their enjoyment of the Y to refrain from such behavior. Anyone who feels uncomfortable in confronting a person directly should report the behavior to a staff person or the Manager on Duty. Y staff members are ready to be of assistance.
In order to carry out these policies, we ask that members, guest and program participants identify themselves to staff when asked. The branch executive will investigate all reported incidents. The Y reserves the right, among other things, to deny access, revoke membership, and/or remove any person from the facility on the spot who violates any of the above behaviors, or any other behavior that may be detrimental to others. The Y reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who is listed on a national, state and/or tribal sex offender registry or database. This is the sole discretion of Y management. The branch executive, in his/her discretion, will determine whether a violation of the Y Member/Participant Code of Conduct has occurred.
FAMILIES WELCOME HERE
These guidelines ensure you and your family’s safety while having fun at the Y.
AGES 2 MONTHS – 10 YEARS OLD
You are welcome to stay together to use the pool, gym, or activity center. Closely supervise your child, unless they are in a program, class, or the KidZone. Strollers and infant carriers are allowed only at the David D. Hunting YMCA and Mary Free Bed YMCA track. For safety, they are not allowed on suspended tracks at the Wolverine Worldwide Family YMCA and the SpartanNash YMCA.
AGES 5 YEARS – 10 YEARS OLD
Children are welcome to use the pool, gym, or activity center, as long as you provide direct supervision. Closely supervise your child at all times while in the facility. Please keep your child within arm’s length. Your child may use the indoor track with you. After you both have gone through the parent-child fitness orientation, children are welcome to use kid-appropriate fitness equipment alongside you.
AGES 11 YEARS – 14 YEARS OLD
After the parent-child fitness orientation, your child may use the facility without you being present. He/she may use the appropriate cardio and weight machines. Full access is available in the pool, activity center, climbing wall, gym, and group fitness classes. Personal training is available with your signed consent.
AGES 12 YEARS – 16 YEARS OLD
If accompanied by a parent/guardian, children 12-16 are allowed to use the hot tub, steam room or sauna. Children under 12 are not permitted in these areas.
AGES 15 YEARS – 17 YEARS OLD
After the parent-child fitness orientation, your child is welcome to use the free weights.
Please follow all posted rules, including the Member/Participant Code of Conduct Pool, Hot Tub, Steam Room, and Sauna Policies.
SAFE POOLS HAVE RULES
Your safety is our number one priority. Our pool rules help ensure that everyone has a safe, fun experience.
- Direct, in-water supervision of children under 10 who have not passed the swim test is required.
- You are responsible for supervising your children. Lifeguards are on duty to enforce rules for a safe pool experience and respond in case of emergency.
- Extended underwater breath holding, hyperventilating, or motionless breath holding is not allowed.
- Please refrain from horseplay, roughhousing, dunking, pushing and throwing.
- Glass, breakable materials and hazardous objects or materials are not allowed on deck or in the pool area.
- For your safety, do not use the pool if you have consumed alcohol.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices may be used.
Age Guidelines – Pools
- 10 years and under
- Non-Swimmer: You must be in the water within arm’s length until the child has passed the swim test.
- Swimmer: Once your child has passed the swim test, he/she is welcome to use open areas of the pool. You must remain on deck at all times.
- 11 years +
- Non-Swimmer: Your child may use the shallow areas of the pool with a life jacket or may be with you if he/she is within arm’s length.
- Swimmer: After passing the swim test, your child is welcome to use all open areas of the pool.
- Slide Guidelines
- Children taller than 48 inches may use the slide if they have passed the swim test and are comfortable going down on their own.
- 1 short whistle blast – pay attention to the lifeguards.
- 1 long whistle blast – clear the pool immediately.
- For safety, please keep usage to 10 minutes per hour.
- Shower before entering.
- Please refrain from using lotions or oils.
- No food or drinks.
- No electronic device usage.
- Individuals at high risk with the following conditions should not use the hot tub, steam room, or sauna unless authorized by a physician:
High/low blood pressure
Epilepsy or seizure disorders
Active skin infection
- Children 12 – 16 are allowed to use the hot tub, steam room, or sauna only if they are accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Men’s and Women’s hot tub, steam room, & sauna are for those 18 years of age or older.
- Children under 12 are not permitted in hot tub, sauna, or steam room.
- Clean, Y-appropriate swim wear must be worn.
- Please remain above water at all times. Submerging can lead to serious injury.
- Diving or jumping is prohibited.
- Avoid if under the influence of substances that may cause drowsiness or high/low blood pressure.
- Do not wear street shoes in the hot tub area.
- Aerobic exercise is not allowed in the hot tub.
Steam Room & Sauna
- You must be covered with a towel.
- No shoes.
A membership card must be presented in order to use a Y facility. A member who does not have a membership card must present photo identification, such as a driver’s license, to allow staff to verify their membership. Replacement cards are available for a $5 fee. For security purposes, a photo ID must be presented when requesting a replacement card.
We strongly encourage you to wear your membership ID while you are in the facility.
We ask you to follow the Y Code of Conduct and to exhibit the values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and inclusion while you’re here.
GET ORIENTED. Not sure how to use the equipment or what you should be doing? Sign up for two FREE one-on-one Coaching Connection sessions to get you started on you path to a healthy lifestyle, tailored to your needs.
TAKE CARE. If there’s a problem with any of the equipment (or the facility) please inform a staff member. Contact a staff member immediately in the event of an accident.
BE SAFE. Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Warm up before exercising, and cool down afterwards. Have a spotter help you with free weights. Make sure you’ve had enough to eat and drink before exercising to prevent getting dizzy or light-headed. If you are experiencing dizziness, pain or unusual discomfort at any time, stop and ask for help.
HELP US KEEP THE Y CLEAN. Wipe off equipment after each use. Return all equipment when finished with it. Take personal items with you. Remove the plates from lifting bars when you’re done.
GIVE OTHERS A TURN. The equipment is here for everyone to use. Please respect the 30-minute time limit on cardio equipment if others are waiting, and follow any posted sign-up procedures.
BE AWARE. Y facilities and amenities, including locker rooms, close at the times posted. The pools close 30 minutes prior to the rest of the facility to ensure ample time for members to transition. Please help us ensure the safety of our members and staff by respecting the facility’s closing time.
BE RESPECTFUL. Members, guests, and participants may not record, or take photos with any type of device in any area of the facility.
When using the Y, please bring a lock to secure your belongings, including car keys, and wallets, at all times. Valuables are best left at home. Never leave your belongings locked in your car while you are in the facility. The Y is not responsible for theft or damage to your property. For security and privacy purposes, use of cameras, cell phones and other electronic devices are prohibited in restrooms, showers and locker rooms.
The Y staff is trained to deal with blood-borne pathogens and open wounds. All necessary equipment is available. We reserve the right to limit or restrict the use of our facilities if there is a risk of spreading or transferring any communicable or infectious diseases.
To keep our members safe, and to promote a family friendly facility, The YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids has adopted the following dress code:
- No explicit or inappropriate language/designs on clothing
- Appropriate shoes (no sandals) that cover the whole foot, and do not leave marks are required
- Buttocks, chest, and under garments must be covered
- Swimsuits are required when using the pool, sauna, steam room, and whirlpool
- Socks are required for children using the KidZone
The YMCA reserves the right to define inappropriate attire when necessary.
The KidZone welcomes children ages 2 months to 10 years old and is free for members for up to two hours per visit. If the child is a nonmember, you must purchase a youth guest pass for $7 per visit. Hours vary by facility, so please check in advance. Reservations are required for infants 18 months of age and younger, go to grymca.org/kid-zone.
For facilities that do not have Family Locker Rooms, children ages 6 and older must use their gender’s locker room. Children 5 and younger are able to accompany a parent or caregiver into the locker room of the adult’s gender.
A guest must come in with a member.
A youth must have a guest pass waiver of liability signed by a parent or guardian before being allowed to come in as a guest.
Guest Pass Fees:
- Ages 17 & Under: $7.00
- Adult 18 years of age and older: $15.00
- Family: $30.00
Whether you’re just getting started with a fitness regimen or have already achieved a high level of fitness, personal training is an exercise program developed specifically for you. Ask any of our staff for more information.
- Personal Training services are available for adults ages 18+.
- Personal Training services may be utilized by youth ages 10-17 with a signed parental consent form.
Massage therapy is a valuable tool for managing stress, healing from strain, and alleviating pain.
- Massage services are available for adults ages 18+ and are available at the David D. Hunting YMCA, Mary Free Bed YMCA, Visser Family YMCA or the Wolverine Worldwide Family YMCA.
If inclement weather occurs, please check with the facility for any closing/cancellation information. You may go to our homepage, check out our Facebook page, or visit our mobile app (download it here: Google Play or iTunes). In the case of lightning, our pools will be closed according to the facility protocol.
As a Y member, you have access to Ys across the country and around the world. You must present a valid Y ID to be eligible to use AWAY privileges. Please call ahead to check on individual facility policies.
All programs have a minimum number of participants in order to begin. If registration falls short of this minimum, the class will be cancelled. A credit will be applied to your account for the cancelled program. Prorating will not be granted for any participant who joins a program session after the starting date or who leaves the program session before the end date.
If a Y program class is canceled due to inclement weather or causes beyond our control, every effort will be made to create a make-up class. Partial refunds will not be given.
Michigan Membership lets you enjoy the benefits of membership throughout the state of Michigan. We want to encourage members to utilize the Y as often as they can. Sometimes, it’s more convenient for members to utilize a Y in a different location when traveling, near a workplace or in another region.
Now, full facility/full privilege YMCA members have the flexibility to use other Y facilities throughout the state , at no extra charge. Program-only participants may upgrade to a full membership at any time to qualify. Silver Sneakers® members may use other Silver Sneakers® locations only.
Visitors to other Y’s must present a valid YMCA membership card and photo ID upon their first visit and complete a visiting member waiver or standard membership application form with liability waiver. Y full facility/full privilege members must use their home branch at least 50% of the time. Program discounts do not apply. Participating YMCAs reserve the right to restrict facility or program access. Other restrictions may apply.