How to Thrive
at the Y
We love our community and we are excited to welcome you to it! We are deeply committed to our cause of strengthening community and ensuring that all people have access to opportunities. For more than 150 years, the Y has helped members improve their health and well-being while building a stronger sense of community.
Welcome to the Y! We are happy that you became part of our Y family, and can’t wait to get you off to the right start and help you experience all the Y has to offer.
Get Ready for Your First Visit
- Schedule your complimentary Coaching Connection by visiting your local branch or calling 616.855.9622
- Get your tech ready to go: download our app
- Bring your own towel, water bottle, and combination lock
- Connect yourself to our YMCA social platforms
For further assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want your experience at the YMCA to be positive, uplifting, and encourage you to reach your goals.
Below are a few things we offer to get you set up for success:
NEW MEMBER ORIENTATION • BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Looking for some guidance on how to achieve your fitness goals in our facilities? Sign up today for your complimentary Coaching Connection, available to you and all of your family members. In this session a YMCA wellness coach will show you around, answer your questions, and set you up for success.
- Help you set up and navigate the Y mobile app
- Review our in person and virtual group fitness classes
- Suggest adult and youth programs that may interest you
- Review our Y guidelines
- Demonstrate proper use of cardio and weight equipment
- Provide a sample fitness workout
To schedule your appointment, visit your local branch or call 616.855.9622
YMCA Mobile App
See all that the Y has to offer anytime on your phone.
OUR APP FEATURES:
- Easy access to all 7 locations
- See branch hours
- View and register for class schedules and programs
- Use your phone as a member card to scan in and out of a branch
- Receive updates on inclement weather, programs, and class schedules
- Give us your feedback
Frequently Asked Questions
The Y provides our members with encouragement and motivation; sometimes bringing a guest can help. A guest must come in with a member. A youth guest must have a guest pass waiver of liability signed by a parent or guardian before being allowed to come in as a guest. Please see all of our guest policies by visiting grymca.org/guest/
The Guest Pass Fees are:
• Ages 17 & Under: $7.00
• Adult 18 years of age and older: $15.00
• Family: $30.00
• KidZone Guest: $7.00
To keep our members safe, and to promote a family friendly facility, The YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids community attire expectations include:
• No explicit or inappropriate language/designs on clothing
• Appropriate shoes (no sandals) that cover the whole foot, and do not leave marks are required
• Buttocks must be covered. EXAMPLE: Thongs are not allowed as swimming suit bottoms
• Swimsuits are required when using the pool, sauna, steam room, and whirlpool
• Socks are required for children using the KidZone
• Sports bras that allow for full coverage during movement are allowed. No additional shirt layers are required.
Click here to learn more about member expectations.
We are a proud participant of Nationwide Membership. As a member of the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids, you can access 90% of YMCAs throughout the country. Check to see if the Y you will be visiting participates or offers any other benefits to Y members. This information can be found by visiting ymca.net
2 months – 5 years: You are welcome to stay together to use the pool, gym, or activity center. Closely supervise your children, unless they are in a program,
class, or the KidZone. Please keep them within arm’s length. Strollers and infant carriers are welcome.
5 years – 10 years: Children are welcome to use the pool, gym, or activity center, as long as you provide direct supervision. The climbing wall is available for
children who can fit in the harness. Closely supervise your child at all times while in the facility, and keep them within arm’s length. Your child may use the indoor track with you. While we recommended a coaching connection session for orientation, children are welcome to use kid-appropriate fitness equipment
alongside you. Youth of this age are welcome in KidZone.
11 years – 14 years: Your child may use the facility without you being present. While we recommended a coaching connection session, children may use the appropriate cardio and weight machines. Full access is available in the pool (after passing a swim test), activity center, climbing wall, gym and group fitness classes. Personal training is available with your signed consent. Youth 12+ are allowed to use the hot tub, steam room, or sauna only if they are accompanied by a parent/guardian. Children under 12 are not permitted.
13+ years: While we strongly recommended a coaching connection session, your teen is welcome to use the free weights and all equipment.
All ages: Please follow all rules including Member Code of Conduct, and policies for pool, hot tub, sauna, and steam room